After 36 hours of travel we arrived safely to a misty Conakry. Normally two flights arrive per day, and due to our Air Brussels flight arriving 45 minutes late, the arrival times perfectly overlapped, which led to a rather claustrophobic customs experience.
Worth the wait was our greeting. I was still walking through the narrow corridor to baggage as I heard the first wave of cheers from the G-16ers who had patiently stood for hours in amidst the chaos.
Last night's official training was of the meet-and-greet variety over falafel at the house and beachside beers.
One last quick anecdote: a quick conversation with a current volunteer went something like, "I get to sight hoping that I might get a couple pieces of birthday mail and this damn trainee already has a stuffed mailbox!" Thanks Mom.
I will update as time allows.
Just back from falafel filled NYC and seeing your cousin on stage in soho doing a Wonderland. He makes a zany Mad Hatter. Can't wait to hear what you pull out of your hat this week as orientation unfolds. We love you and will stay tuned! Aunt L
ReplyDeleteHi our son!!!!
ReplyDeleteSounds like the experience has started. Congratulations...... How true to your time, the message you read in the airport in Philly. If you need anything let us know. Hey you never told me how to get into Rosetta Stone. Just want to see if it is doable.
Everything here good. Booked a night in the Sandpiper in August. Can't wait. seeing a girly movie tonight and yes I am dragging dad.
Love you and take care.
MOM
Wow, already a falafel and stuffed mailbox! It's so nice to hear about your experiences so far. Isn't it great that Mom blogged to you!? She's going to have this internet thing down cold by the time you are finish in Guinea. Looking forward to hearing more! Love you!
ReplyDeleteBonjour Kevin,
ReplyDeleteGot the group photo, thanks to Dan and also Jeneca's mom. One mom is getting names to be put with the faces and also gathering birthdates which was such a great idea. I'm sure these 17 will be your support group and in one year you will be sharing your experiences with the next new group.
Love you and think of you daily,
Mom