Eleven weeks of training in our wake, we can finally call ourselves Peace Corps volunteers. Swearing in took place this morning at 10:30 a.m. under an overcast sky. I don’t know why, but I’ve been tagged as our group’s resident speech-giver, so I was tasked with putting together the French speech (one of five, including four in local languages). Despite the normal smattering of hackneyed phrases jumbled together, we were treated to some unusually original and sentimental words by our training coordinator, Guinea’s Minister of Education, our PC general and associate directors, and the would-be US Ambassador (had America been currently recognizing Guinea’s government).
Guinea’s minister touched on education remaining at the heart of Guinea’s development, and how only 55% of students make it beyond the 6th grade. He addressed the female volunteers directly, underscoring the country’s critical goal of educating women and their role as examples for all the young girls in their communities.
The ambassador’s speech was especially poignant. Having spent a number of childhood years on the African continent, he recounted his experiences with Peace Corps volunteers (and their voracious appetites at his family’s Thanksgiving dinners) all the way through his current position at the embassy. One staatement that resonated : « this experience is an adventure of a lifetime, but one of both purpose and direction. »
I’ve included my French one below (w/ translation).
Current schedule : head to the big market tomorrow to pick up items that can’t be found outside of Conakry, pool party at Dan’s (the director), and then leave Sunday for Labe. If the schedule remains intact, I will be shaking hands with the sub-préfét and other Bodié town officials Wednesday afternoon. I’ll update again if I have the opportunity. Now it’s time to start thinking about my important speech, the one that will undoubtedly be requested a few beers into the evening at the beach bar.
Love and miss you,
Kevin
p.s. I'll try to label/caption photos sometime in the near future...a pic's worth a thousand words, so why not a few more?
------------------------------------
Monsieur le Ministre de l’Education de Guinée,
Monsieur le directeur du Corps de la Paix et ses adjoints,
Monsieur le directeur de la formation du Corps de la Paix,
Cher formateurs,
Chères invités,
Il y a trois mois, nous nous sommes trouvés dans la maison de jeunesse de Forecariah en remerciant nos formateurs, les volontaires de G-16, et une famille hôte pas encore connue. En raison d’avoir juste un morceau de temps ensemble, notre gratitude, compréhensive, était d’une sincérité imaginée. En ce moment, après des heures innombrables, après une longue formation, après que nos personnalités aient eu le temps de se déplier et s’entrelacer, nous n’avons plus besoin d’imaginer.
Cher formateurs, c’était avec la dignité et la grâce que vous nous avez entraîné à relever le défis de naviguer dans une nouvelle culture et—au moins—une nouvelle langue aussi. Les Américains, nous ne sommes pas le gens avec lesquels on peut toujours travailler facilement, mais vous avez manié nos différences avec une patience respectueuse. Nous ne pouvons qu’espérer vous payer de retour en faisant de nôtre mieux qu’en préparant vos enfants pour vous remplacer comme meneurs dans ce pays.
Chers volontaires, vous avez montré la signification d’être intégré dans une nouvelle culture et, en même temps, tout en soutenant votre identité américaine. Après trois mois, nous voyons maintenant que notre voyage vers cette fin est loin d’être réalisé, mais vous êtes les produits de ce pénible travail. Nous tâcherons d’aspirer au standard que vous avez établi.
Enfin, à nos familles hôtes et au peuple de la Guinée. Votre chaleureuse accueille était un rêve réalisé, mais nos rêves ne s’arrêtent pas là. Nous sommes venus ici en sachant que nos actions ne permettraient pas de changer complètement le monde. Nous nous promènerons sur les mêmes rues, fouillerons les mêmes marchés, et partagerons les mêmes repas avec vous. Nous prêcherons dans les mêmes classes—enseignants à coté de vous—griffonnant nos schémas et définitions, secouant la poussière de craie de nos habits.
Et comme vous aussi, la valeur de nos propres actions, nos rêves tiennent dans le succès de nos étudiants. Nous espérons que, Par ce fait, ils gagneront le courage et la connaissance pour produire quelque chose de monumentale pour leur communauté, leur pays et pour le monde.
Nous vous remercions encore.
TRANSLATION
Three months ago we found ourselves at the youth house of Forecariah thanking our formateurs, G-16 volunteers, and a host family yet to be known. Due to just a brief time together, our gratitude, understandably, was of an imagined sincerity. Now, after countless hours together, after a long and intense training, after our personalities have had the time to unfold and intertwine, we no longer need to imagine:
To our trainers, with dignity and grace you have led us through the challenges of navigating a new culture and—at least—one new language. Americans are not the easiest to work with,, but you have managed our differences with fine patience. We can only hope too repay you by doing our best to prepare the generation of your children to replace you as leaders of this country.
To G-16 volunteers [i.e. also our trainers], you have demonstrated the meaning of being integrated in a new culture and, at the same time, mainaining your American identity. After three months, we now see that our voyage toward this end is far from complete, but you are the pproducts of such hard work. We task ourselves to reach for the standard you have set.
Finally, to our host families and the people of Guinea. Your warm welcome was a dream come true, but our dreams don’t stop there. We came here knowing our actions will not be profound. We will walk your streets, rummage your markets, and share your meals. We will preach in the same classes—teachers alongside you—scribbling our diagrams and definitions, shaking the chalkdust from our clothing.
And like you, rather than hinging upon the profundity of our own actions, our dreams remain with the future actions of our students, whom we hope will gain the courage and knowledge to do something monumental for their communities, their country, and for the world.
We thank you again.
Always with profound grace your words dance on paper. You have already touched so many peoples lives. Congratulations to being swore in as official Peace Corp Volunteer. We are proud of all 17 in your group. We look forward to hearing more of your adventures. By the by, photos are again magazine material, I keep sharing them with all. Love and miss you. ~your proud mom
ReplyDeletehey roche! It was so good to hear from you! I hope things are going well... saw some things about guinea in the news today and I hope you are far from all that. I miss you here! I haven't been doing my riding :( Also lilly is having about 6000 job cuts, so we'll see how that goes. Other than that its the same old thing here, just wish u around. I hope your having an amazing time! <3 sloany
ReplyDeleteIt's hard to muster words to describe my feelings as I experience your documentation of your life and your community's life through words and pictures. The yellow book is next to me...it's on its way soon.
ReplyDeleteWill your class need calculators? I can make that happen...your care package is my next big project. Our lives are at interesting junctures; I am reflecting and documenting each week my experiences at a K-8 school in Cambridge where I see many students each day who have just immigrated from Africa...more on that in the book.
Some news: Claire and I got engaged on August 6. I proposed on a cliff overlooking the ocean in Acadia National Park in Maine. Wedding will be either next July or August.
Much love,
Pete
Congrats Kevin Official PCV! I am so enjoying the journey you are sharing with all of us. Thank You!
ReplyDeleteBe Safe, Love you Aunt Karen