The whirlwind month at home is spitting me into another corner of the globe, a one-way ticket and an open-ended commitment while PC re-enrollment lumbers along.
Call yesterday a caffeine kick. Around 10 a.m. I plopped into the driver's seat to head for the barber. Before I even let off the brake 2009 hit me like an accident. Four continents! Acapulco beach ultimate on the coldest midwestern week of the year, waterlogged in an Irish January, impromptu snowboard customization in CO (sorry Frank), Tahoe play, coasting on the wind over a San Diego bluff, there and Backfrica (so well put by Jake), and now...
Painful reminders of Guinea more than linger. Even as I type, news of a Dadis assassination attempt creep through the 56k modem in my parents' basement. The scabs from evacuation are still fresh. During our fairwell ceremony Ousmane, the Guinea training coordinator, gave the most heartbreaking speech I have ever witnessed. "Come back. Please come back. We need you. Now more than ever." Such trenchant emotion does not fade easily, and I know these words echo in more hearts than just my own. All 94 of us...it kills us.
Ayacucho's history offers me some optimism for Guinea. Just a decade ago it was the epicenter of a guerilla war. Now an orphanage is stretching to fit its volunteer demand. I know much of that has to do with Peru's obvious offerings: towering Andes, history's exposed bands, the mystical Macchu Picchu. Still, it's an example of hope rebounded.
The last several weeks have been spectacular. Thank you to those who helped me indulge in some of the pleasures I was only dreaming of a couple months ago. I know it's a far from complete list, but:
Owed Thank Yous:
- Bec, for sharing your time w/ me in the City, for your sweet apartment location (that was seriously the first time I ever was able to run on the River or the Lake), for reminding me that dreams are not something to be compromised, and for cider.
- Tina, for Green Goddess and MAC&CHEESE!!!! Also, for welcoming me into your home so I may continue the Rummikub domination...up 3 games and not looking back! They say one's ears ring when someone's talking about him; so when I crack my head on the corner of a cabinet I'll know you're reading this. Fired up for February yet?
- Lilly folks, for reminding me how much Indy still feels like home, even with a hippie bus
- Sloan, for your ever-warm hospitality and friendship (and to Oliver for tolertaing my insistence on transforming his name into a french verb)
- Indy Ulty, for great mussels, some crazy conjured-up memories, and some crazier cop stories
- Hoglunds, for your wonderful hospitality and contagious spirit
- Vince, love friends, love fam, love life: you make it look so easy, keep it up
- cheese, oh how I missed you
- Michelle & Al, for coming out and being cousins :)
- Britta & Suji, for (c)hugs(4jugs) that will never dip in intensity
- Henkes and Grandma, I can still taste the dinners (and Ross's cheesecake)
- Chad, for bending over backwards for your friends, even when they're 5000 mi away
- Grandma & Grandpa Sova, for your bursting hearts and curiosities
- Aunt Karen, for helping me feel like I'm home, even when I was away
- Joanna, for helping me align my own disjointed sentiments long enough to start reflecting on the past summer, and for your unyielding courage
- For all your calls, emails, and visits, and your forgiveness if I forgot you (it's 03:30 after all)
and finally to Mom & Dad, for your overwhelming generosity, and your patient support of my restlessness. I know my dreams are often your sacrifice.
Keep in touch,
Kevin
We see the dream with you through your photos and your words. We are proud your dreams include others not so fortunate. We wish your dreams were a little less challenging to reach sometimes, but on each step we see your growth. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDelete