Tuesday, December 29, 2009

¡Dos Màs!

After the typical lag between re-enrollment and medical clearance, I´m happy to say two more years of Peace Corps service are now lined up...in Costa Rica!

The Community, Youth, and Families (CYF) assignment will be different from my previous one as a physics teacher. Probably the most striking difference is the lack of a structured assignment laid right in my lap. In Guinea the math and science curricula were rigidly defined. Yes, there were opportunities to spice it up, but any major deviations were a distraction to the main objective of preparing students for national exams. To some extent we were as equally plugged into the community as we were into our assignments. The role of 'teacher' carries a certain predefined level of respect in Guinea. Sure, there are always the hams who try to take over a classroom and the wizened old man perched on a bench in the shade, griping about "Kids these days!" But between my limited experience at site and discussions with others, this behavior still appeared the exception to the rule.

In Guinea I had actually looked upon the other 'extensionist' roles with a bit of jealousy. These individuals often entered a community having to prove themselves completely. A project was based on a detailed assessment of the community's needs, its success hinging on foresight, vision, and ultimately creativity. I don´t view myself as a very creative person. Aside from sports, my hobbies tend to gravitate toward a passive observation of the world (photography and writing). The opportunity to conjure up a project from scratch and steer it to completion is a foray into my own unknown capabilities. As such, the it´s both a risk and a thrill.

The decision to move forward is also terribly bittersweet. While studying in Strasbourg six years ago I promised myself I'd never again have a long-distance relationship. It´s just too much to have one´s heart in on one side of an ocean and one´s body in another. I feel that way right now. Guinea is still where I belong. I was ready to pour my heart into my little corner of the Fouta Djallon, and part of me is not willing to submit to the fact that the door to that experience really is closing for good. Guinea and Costa Rica are currently polar opposites in my mind, one being a country plagued with poverty and instability and the other a popular destination for cooing honeymooners. I know this is a preconception, as I´ve never been to Costa Rica--especially not the unpaved Costa Rica flung miles from the tables full of cocktail umbrellas and Macanudo cigars.

Nor am I ready to leave Peru. After three weeks at the Casa I´m finally starting to find opportunities to serve beyond the standard "6-1 with the Lupes" or "2-7 with the Grandes". This past week many of us have been brainstorming activities to keep the children busy during their summer vacation. Tomorrow I´ll begin a 3x/weekly tutoring regimen to help one of the kids catch up with his peers in math. Another disappointment is that I won´t be able to work for longer with good friend and fellow G18er Emily. With three years working with kids under her belt, a stellar work ethic, and an open mind, she is already someone who has taught me alot about passionately throwing oneself into a cause. She was the individual who opened up the opportunity of serving in Ayacucho, so my time here is largely due to her ability to make connections.

A few months ago my future was as muddy as a December evening in Carmen Alto. I´m surprised by how quickly the schedule has congealed. A mid-January departure from Ayacucho will take me to Cuzco for some quick daytrips to nearby Inca ruins and then to a four day hike down the Inca Trail to Macchu Picchu. The first week in February I´ll be in Boston for a week visiting Bec and other friends (you know who you are...email me!), followed by a few weeks of hellos/goodbyes in the Chicago area. The next adventure begins March 1st.

Hope to see many of you somewhere along the way.

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck my man. Costa Rica will be different I'm sure, but embrace those differences. You can't live life living in the past so just enjoy the moment. I know that you will be the best Volunteer you can be and you will pour your heart out to your community when you are there.

    ReplyDelete